Lawyers representing Nebraska football athletes filed briefs last week seeking to exempt media-rights and content production deals from the College Sports Commission's newly ratified pay caps, arguing that endorsement arrangements tied to broadcast licensing fall outside the $20.5 million annual ceiling imposed under the House settlement framework. The motion, filed April 14 in federal court in Nebraska, marks the first coordinated challenge to the Commission's Associated Entities provision—language designed to prevent schools from routing payments through third-party sponsors.
The case centers on how the Commission classifies NIL deals structured around media production. Under current guidelines, schools may distribute up to $20.5 million annually to athletes through revenue-sharing pools, with a separate cap on endorsement payments coordinated by "Associated Entities"—boosters, collectives, or sponsors deemed to act on behalf of the institution. Plaintiff counsel argues that media contracts, where athletes license their image for broadcast content or streaming rights, constitute independent commercial arrangements rather than disguised institutional payments. The distinction matters: if upheld, a media carveout would allow schools to layer content deals atop the $20.5 million cap without triggering enforcement.
Three people with knowledge of the filing say the strategy reflects a broader shift in how collectives and schools structure endorsement flows. One executive at a Power Four collective, speaking without attribution, noted his group has already begun drafting revised contracts that frame deals as "licensing agreements for broadcast integration" rather than traditional NIL endorsements. The Nebraska case names four linemen who signed deals worth a combined $1.8 million with a regional sports network for documentary participation and in-game content features. Their counsel contends these payments derive from media-rights economics—broadcast advertising and subscription revenue—not institutional booster funds, and therefore sit outside the Associated Entities perimeter.
The College Sports Commission declined to comment on pending litigation but pointed to its enforcement framework, which includes a review panel tasked with auditing deal structures that "attempt to circumvent revenue-share limits through creative categorization." The panel, announced in February, has yet to hear a case. One Division I compliance director, who requested anonymity to discuss legal exposure, said his school has paused all third-party media deals pending clarity on the Nebraska outcome. "We've got three production companies offering six figures for behind-the-scenes content, and nobody knows if that money counts against the cap or not," he said. "If it doesn't, every school with a broadcast partner is about to get very creative."
The timing aligns with broader pressure on the Commission's enforcement architecture. The Chiefs' director of college scouting, speaking at a pre-draft event last week, noted NIL money is keeping draft-eligible players in school longer, shrinking the NFL's talent pool and complicating team evaluations. Meanwhile, SEC quarterback NIL rankings published by College Front Office last Tuesday showed Georgia's Gunner Stockton absent from the top ten despite leading the Bulldogs to an SEC title—evidence, one agent argued, that rankings increasingly reflect deal structure rather than on-field value. Arch Manning topped the list at an estimated $3.2 million, with $1.1 million reportedly tied to a Texas broadcast partnership that may now face scrutiny under the Nebraska challenge.
If the court sides with plaintiffs, expect a cascade of reclassifications. Schools with existing broadcast deals—particularly those in conferences with in-house production arms—will race to restructure endorsement flows as media licensing. The Commission would face pressure to draft new language distinguishing "media rights" from "endorsements," a boundary that collapses the moment an athlete signs with a brand that also sponsors the broadcast. One family-office allocator, who declined to be named while evaluating a bid on a Group of Five school, said his team has already modeled the impact: "If media deals sit outside the cap, valuation on schools with existing broadcast infrastructure just moved 15% higher."
Oral arguments are scheduled for June 12. The Commission's counterfiling is due May 6.